A decadent red velvet cupcake, filled and topped with homemade cheesecake, fluffy vanilla buttercream, toffee bits and drizzled with melted chocolate. A copycat recipe of Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes from Disney World’s former Starring Rolls Cafe.
This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on these links, I get a small percentage back at no cost to you! For more information see my disclosure policy.
I am kind of obsessed with cupcakes. OBSESSED. I actually used to make and sell gourmet cupcakes in my neighborhood each week.
When I was planning a trip to Disney World a couple of years ago, I found out that Disney World is actually quite famous for their cupcakes.
I started making a list of all of the different cupcakes I wanted to try. The Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes from Disney World’s Starring Rolls Cafe in Hollywood Studios was at the top of my list!
Disney World Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes
After consuming this cupcake in Florida, I knew that I needed it to be in my life on a regular basis.
I came up with a recipe and the cupcakes are amazing. The cake is so moist and the frosting is, well, cheesecake.
Not cream cheese frosting, but actual cheesecake that is blended up to a smooth consistency in order to be piped onto the cupcake.
This cupcake also has whipped vanilla buttercream, crushed toffee pieces and drizzled chocolate. Do I have you attention yet?
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Ingredients for Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1 Red Velvet Cake Mix (I like Betty Crocker)
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Butter, melted
- 4 Eggs
- 1 (8 Ounce) Block of Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Butter, melted
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons Milk or Cream
How to Make Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes
Although this is a gourmet cupcake, if you take it step by step, this cupcake is actually not too hard to put together.
Imagine how impressed your friends and family will be when you make these decadent and beautiful cupcakes.
I’ve even made a video on how to put these beauties together. Check it out at the end of the post!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
The first step in making these cupcakes is to prepare the cake. Red Velvet is kind of a tricky flavor of cake.
It’s actually a chocolate cake, which I didn’t know for a long time, with red food coloring added. The problem is that the cake is brown, so it takes A LOT of red food coloring.
To make this recipe easier and less messy, I just use my favorite red velvet cake mix and “doctor it up” a little bit.
- Begin by preparing the cake mix, but add 1 extra egg, melted butter instead of oil and milk instead of water.
- Bake the cupcakes at 325 degrees instead of 350. By baking them at a slightly lower temperature, the cupcakes will come out more flat on top and will be easier to decorate.
- This recipe will make 24 standard size cupcakes. If you want them to be the same size as the cupcakes at Disney World, use a jumbo cupcake pan and jumbo baking cups.
Let the cupcakes cool, while you make the cheesecake filling.
- Mix up the softened cream cheese, egg, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8 x 8 baking dish and bake at 320 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Allow the cheesecake to cool completely. Add the cheesecake to a stand mixer and whip it together until smooth. Add it to a piping bag and set aside.
- Add the softened butter to a mixing bowl. Beat with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Pour in the vanilla.
- Next, add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, mixing in between. Add milk a little at a time, if the frosting is too stiff.
- Put the frosting in a piping bag and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife at a 45 degree angle, cut a cone-shaped hole from the center of the cupcake.
- Fill the center with cheesecake filling and continue on top of the cupcake.
For Jumbo Cupcakes:
- Fill in the hole with cheesecake. Replace the cake you removed, but put it on upside down, so it makes a cone on top.
- Pipe the cheesecake around the cake cone.
- Pipe the vanilla buttercream in a circle around the cheesecake.
- Press the Heath Toffee Bits onto the butter cream.
- Melt the chocolate chips. Put the melted chocolate in a ziplock bag and snip off the end. Drizzle the chocolate over the tops of the cupcakes.
Just like that, you have Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes just like they sell at Starring Rolls Cafe!
How to Save Money on Disney World Tickets & Hotels
When booking your next Disney World vacation, make sure to check out Get Away Today! Their customer service is THE BEST!
Get a free customized quote here or give them a call at 855-GET-AWAY for current deals at Walt Disney World and tell them the Mommy Mouse Clubhouse sent you!
I hope you enjoy these cupcakes and check out my other Disney Recipes!
*As I was preparing this post, I found out that Starring Rolls Cafe is actually closed now. I’m glad that I was able to taste this delicious cupcake while it was available and I hope that you will try this recipe so that you can enjoy the yumminess that is the Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcakes from Disney World’s Starring Rolls Cafe.