This recipe will show you how to make delicious red velvet cinnamon rolls using a cake mix short cut, plus the most creamy, delicious cream cheese frosting! These cinnamon rolls are great for holidays like Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and the 4th of July!
This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on these links, I get a small percentage back at no cost to you! For more information see my disclosure policy.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
Cinnamon rolls are something that I make almost weekly for my family. My kids love them!
So, using a cake mix as a short cut to make cinnamon rolls is a win in my book.
The beauty about using a cake mix is that you can vary the flavor combinations like these Butter Pecan Cinnamon Rolls with Salted Caramel Glaze.
Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting
A couple of weeks ago, I needed to make a breakfast item for my neighborhood 4th of July party. I wanted to take something festive and colorful.
I decided to use one of my favorite flavor combinations, red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting and make cinnamon rolls!
I topped the cinnamon rolls with red, white, and blue sprinkles to celebrate the holiday.
Because of the red and white color of these cinnamon rolls, they would make a great breakfast for Christmas morning!
Can You Make Cinnamon Rolls Ahead of Time?
The answer is yes! You can definitely make these red velvet cinnamon rolls ahead of time. I make them a day ahead all the time.
To do this, follow all of the directions to make the cinnamon rolls and then store them for a day in an airtight container before serving.
How to Freeze Cinnamon Rolls
Freezing these Red Velvet Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls is a great way to make a batch of these go a long way. Here’s how I do it:
- Prepare the cinnamon roll dough according to the directions below.
- Once you have cut the dough into rolls, place them on a baking sheet.
- Put the baking sheet in the freezer and freeze the rolls for one hour.
- Transfer the frozen cinnamon rolls to a freezer-safe ziplock bag.
- To bake, remove the rolls from the freezer and place on a baking sheet.
- Allow them to thaw/rise for one hour then bake according to the directions.
- Warm Water
- Red Velvet Cake Mix
- Vanilla Extract
- Butter, softened
- Brown Sugar
Helpful Kitchen Tools:
- Stand Mixer (I recommend Bosch or Kitchenaid)
- Cooking Spray
- Plastic Wrap
- Rolling Pin
- Silicone Spatula
- Unwaxed Dental Floss
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Disposable Piping Bags
- Large Star Tip
How to Make Red Velvet Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls
- Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water and gently stir. Set aside to proof.
- Place the cake mix, flour, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment and turn on for 10-15 seconds.
- Pour in the yeast and water mixture and mix.
- Add the beaten eggs and vanilla extract.
- Knead the dough for 3-5 minutes until the dough begins to pull away from the side of the bowl.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place the red velvet dough in the bowl, turning once to coat.
- Spray a square of plastic wrap, large enough to cover the bowl, and place it over the bowl to cover the dough.
- Place the bowl in a warm, dry place and allow it to rise until double in size.
- When the dough has risen, remove the plastic wrap and punch down the dough.
- Pour the dough out onto a large, floured surface and sprinkle the top with flour.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the red velvet dough into a large rectangle.
- Use a silicone spatula to gently spread softened butter over the rectangle.
- Cover the dough evenly with the brown sugar.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon over the brown sugar.
- Roll the dough up tightly lenghtwise.
- To cut the rolls, gently slide a piece of unwaxed dental floss under the roll.
- Find your desired place to cut and pull the two ends of the floss up over the roll and cross them. Pull them tight around the roll and the floss will cut through.
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- Cream Cheese
- Butter, softened
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
- Place the softened butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat for 1 minute.
- Add the softened cream cheese and beat with the butter for another 2 minutes.
- Measure 2 cups of powdered sugar and add the the bowl along with the vanilla extract. Cover and mix for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and whip the frosting for 2-3 minutes, until it is light and fluffy.
To add the frosting to the cinnamon rolls, there are a few things you can do.
First, you can spread the frosting over the warm cinnamon rolls and let it melt a little bit, kind of like a glaze.
Second, you could wait until the rolls have cooled and them use a spatula to spread the frosting over the top.
The third option is what I choose to do for our picnic because it looks so good!
I used a large star tip and a piping bag to pipe the cream cheese frosting on top of the cake mix cinnamon rolls!
It is really easy to do and makes your cinnamon rolls look professional! Here are some step by step instructions:
- Put the bag into a large cup and open the bag around the edges.
- Add the frosting to the piping bag and twist the end.
- Place the tip in the center of the cinnamon roll and go in circular spiral until you get to the edge of the cinnamon roll.
- Add festive sprinkles, if desired.