These yummy cinnamon rolls are a delicious variation on a standard cinnamon roll using a Butter Pecan cake mix. They are topped with a creamy Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Glaze. The best cake mix cinnamon rolls ever!
This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on these links, I get a small percentage back at no cost to you! For more information see my disclosure policy.
My 9-year-old is obsessed with cinnamon rolls. OBSESSED. The good and bad news for him, is that they just built a Cinnabun location less than a mile from our house.
It’s good news, because of his obsession. It’s bad news because I would go broke if I bought him a delicious cinnamon roll from Cinnabun every time he wanted one.
Try French Vanilla, Devil’s Food, Lemon or Red Velvet!
This Butter Pecan cake mix happened to catch my eye when I was at the store and I thought it would go perfect with salted caramel cream cheese icing. I was right 😉
- 4 1/2 Teaspoons Yeast (or 2 packets)
- 2 1/2 Cups Warm Water
- 1 Butter Pecan Cake Mix, or your favorite cake mix
- 5 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Butter, softened
- 2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
- Combine the warm water with the yeast and set it aside while you prepare the dry ingredients.
- Place the cake mix, flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the yeast mixture, beaten eggs, vanilla and knead for 4-5 minutes.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise 45-60 minutes until it doubles in size.
- Punch down the dough and place on a floured surface. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Use a rolling pin it into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread softened butter over the entire surface and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll up the dough tightly into a large roll.
- Use dental floss to cut it into 24 rolls. The dental floss trick is pretty cool. I’ve always cut the dough with a knife and the rolls get smashed. That doesn’t happen with the floss.
- Place the rolls in two 9×13 greased baking dishes. Sometimes I put half of the rolls into a disposable 9×13 and freeze them for later.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place the baking dishes in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, depending on how thick you cut the rolls.
Salted Caramel Glaze Ingredients
- 1/2 Cup Butter, softened
- 4 Ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons Caramel Ice Cream Topping
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- Place the softened butter to the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whisk until nice and fluffy.
- Add the softened cream cheese and vanilla and beat on low until combined. Then slowly increase the speed until fluffy.
- Pour in the caramel sauce and salt and beat some more.
- Mix in the powdered sugar a little at a time and beat until combined.
- Spread over the top of cinnamon rolls while they are still warm.
- Serve them with a side of Crispy Oven Bacon!