Have you ever tried Cake Mix Waffles? If you haven’t you need to try this recipe! There are so many options including Red Velvet Waffles!
There are so many options including Red Velvet Waffles!
This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on these links, I get a small percentage back at no cost to you! For more information see my disclosure policy.
I’ve always wondered what would happen if you mixed up a cake mix and put it in a waffle iron.
Well, I tried it, and it was amazing! Can you imagine the flavor combinations you could make with these delicious cake mix waffles?
How to Make Cake Mix Waffles Crispier
Through my trial and error with working on this recipe, I discovered that making the cake mix according to the package directions was delicious, but the waffles were very fragile and often fell apart when I tried to remove them from the waffle iron.
I wanted to figure out a way to make cake mix waffles crisper so that they would be able to hold up do different toppings and syrups.
If you want your waffles to be more sturdy, add an extra egg and 1/4 Cup of all-purpose flour to the batter when you prepare it.
What Brand of Cake Mix is Best for Waffles?
It really doesn’t matter what brand of cake mix you use to make waffles, but my favorite brand of cake mix is Betty Crocker.
Cake Mix Waffle Ideas
- Red Velvet Waffles with Cream Cheese Syrup – Use a red velvet cake mix to prepare the waffles. For the syrup, mix 1/4 cup softened cream cheese with 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup milk.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Waffles – Use a chocolate cake mix to prepare the waffles, and top with peanut butter melted in the microwave for 30 second intervals until it has melted.
- Cookies & Cream Waffles – Use a vanilla cake mix to prepare the waffles, but stir in 1/2 cup of OREO crumbs. Top with whipped cream and more OREO crumbs.
- Pumpkin Spice Waffles with Cream Cheese Syrup – Use a spice cake mix plus one (15 ounce) can of pumpkin puree to prepare the cake mix waffles. Top the waffles with 4 ounces of softened cream cheese mixed with 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup milk.
- Birthday Cake Waffles – Use a Funfetti or Rainbow Chip cake mix or add rainbow sprinkles to a vanilla cake mix to prepare the waffles then top with vanilla ice cream.
- White Chocolate Waffles with Raspberries and Raspberry Syrup – Add one box of white chocolate instant pudding to a white cake mix to prepare the waffles. Top the waffles with fresh raspberries, whipped cream, and raspberry syrup.
- Chocolate Salted Caramel Waffles – Prepare the cake mix waffles with a chocolate cake mix. Top them with whipped cream and Salted Caramel Chocolate Ganache.
- Butter Pecan Waffles with Caramel Syrup – Use a butter pecan cake mix to prepare the waffles and top with Caramel Syrup, whipped cream, and chopped pecans.
- Strawberry Cheesecake Waffles – Use a strawberry cake mix or vanilla cake mix to prepare the waffles. Top with fresh strawberries, whipped cream, and cheesecake topping.
What is the Best Waffle Iron to Make Cake Mix Waffles
I recommend using your favorite waffle iron for this recipe. One that you know and are familiar with.
I use this Cuisinart Belgian Waffle Iron and have had great success with it for many years.
Check out some of these fun waffle irons here.
Cake Mix Mickey Waffles
We are big Disney fans at our house so we use our Mickey Waffle Iron at least once or twice a week.
I usually use this crispy waffles recipe, but we recently used a cake mix to make these Red Velvet Mickey Waffles with Cream Cheese Syrup. So good.
Waffle Topping Ideas
- Whipped Cream
- Maple Syrup
- Fruit Syrups
- Peanut Butter
- Chocolate Chips
- Chocolate Syrup
- Caramel Syrup
- Cookie Butter
- Cheesecake Topping
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Ganache
- One Cake Mix
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Oil
For Crispier Cake Mix Waffles Add
- 1 Extra Egg
- 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- Mixing Bowls
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
- Cookie Scoop
- Standard Waffle Iron or Mickey Mouse Waffle Iron
- Plug in and preheat your waffle iron of choice.
- Add the eggs, cake mix, milk, and oil to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium for 30 seconds, then high for one minute until combined.
- Spray your hot waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray and measure the cake mix waffle batter for your waffle maker. (My Belgian Waffle Iron uses about 1/2 cup of batter. Mickey Waffles use about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of batter per waffle.)
- When your waffle iron has indicated that it has finished cooking, carefully remove the waffle.
- If you will not be serving the waffles immediately, you can place them on a cookie sheet in an oven preheated to 200 degrees until ready to serve.
Other Breakfast Recipes to Try