Pineapple cupcakes filled with sweet Dole Pineapple and topped with fluffy pineapple buttercream frosting. Dole Whip Cupcakes are a tribute to Dole Whip Soft-Serve available at Disneyland and Disney World.
This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on these links, I get a small percentage back at no cost to you! For more information see my disclosure policy.
Below you will find tips, tricks and helpful hints for making this recipe including step by step instructions with pictures. If you would like to go directly to the recipe, scroll down to the recipe card.
If you’ve been to Disneyland or Walt Disney World, you have probably heard of Dole Whip. If you haven’t, I’m so sorry. Dole Whip is my all-time FAVORITE Disney treat!
Pineapple Dole Whip is a creamy, dairy-free, soft serve pineapple dessert that is available at both the Disneyland Resort as well as Walt Disney World. It is a classic Disney treat!
A few years ago, ran a neighborhood cupcake business and I wanted to turn Pineapple Dole Whip into a cupcake. And it was a success!
Not only are these cupcakes delicious, they were my top selling flavor! My neighbors and friends loved them.
Find out how to make your own Dole Whip Soft Serve here!
The cake portion of this treat is pineapple flavored and stuffed with an over the top pineapple filling. On top, you will find a creamy pineapple buttercream frosting.
Make sure you use a piping bag and star tip so that the frosting will look just like the Dole Whip sold at the parks!
By the way, if you are a big fan of Disney snacks and treats like me, be sure to check out my entire collection of make-at-home Disney Recipes here!
Ingredients for Dole Whip Cupcakes
Below is a list of ingredients you will need to make each layer of these delicious Dole Whip Cupcakes.
- Vanilla Cake Mix– You can use a vanilla cake mix or a white cake mix to make these cupcakes, but I prefer the taste of vanilla.
- Pineapple Flavored Jello– This jello is used to flavor the cupcakes. I have been able to easily find it at my local grocery store, Walmart, and here on Amazon.
- Butter – for this recipe, I like to use unsalted butter. Melted butter is added to the cake mix in place of oil.
- Eggs – You will use one more egg in this recipe than what is called for on the back of the cake mix box. Use large eggs.
- Pineapple Juice – Use any brand of pineapple juice that you want. My favorite brand is DOLE.
- Milk – Instead of water that is called for on the cake mix box, you will be using milk.
- Crushed Pineapple
- Corn Starch
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Pineapple Jello Mix
- Pineapple Filling
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
- Cupcake Liners
- Cupcake Pan
- 1 Tablespoon Cookie Scoop
- Cupcake Corer
- Piping Bags
- Large Star Tip
How to Make Dole Whip Cupcakes
Now that you have assembled all of the ingredients to make the cupcakes, it’s time to make each component, and put them together!
- Add the cake mix, pineapple Jello, butter, eggs, pineapple juice and milk to the bowl of a stand mixer or use a mixing bowl and hand mixer. Beat until mixed together.
- Line a cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners.
- Using a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop, add three scoops of batter to each cup.
- Bake the cupcakes at 325 degrees for 13-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Add the crushed pineapple, sugar, and corn starch to a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until boiling.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, while continuing to stir, for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pineapple filling from the heat, stir in the butter and allow to cool. Reserve 1/4 cup of filling, to add to the frosting.
Pineapple Buttercream Frosting
- Place the softened butter in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Whip the butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the vanilla extract, Jello mix, and reserved pineapple filling.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing in between.
- Pour in the milk, one tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
- To assemble the cupcakes, use a cupcake corer or a knife to remove the center of the each cupcake.
- Add the pineapple filling to a piping bag and snip off the end.
- Pipe the filing into the middle of each cupcake.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag with a large star tip.
- Pipe the buttercream on top of the cupcakes in a circular motion to mimic a Dole Whip Soft Serve.
I hope you enjoy these Dole Whip Cupcakes whenever you are craving a yummy Disney treat!
More Disney Recipes:
Saturday 30th of July 2022
Girl!!!! This recipe is amazing! I have used it to make cupcakes and a cake! So yummy!
Monday 13th of June 2022
Hi I was just wondering if the butter is supposed to be unsalted or not
Saturday 18th of June 2022
I use unsalted :)
Sunday 13th of February 2022
Hi there! I keep re-reading to understand the buttercream recipe. So I need two batches of the filling for this recipe right? Some that will just be filling, and some that will be added to the frosting? I’m sorry if I’m completely missing the mark here, just want to make sure I’m understanding correctly. Thanks!
Sunday 13th of February 2022
I’m so sorry for the confusion! You just need to reserve 1/4 cup of the filling and set it aside for the frosting. I will definitely make that more clear in the instructions 😊
Saturday 10th of July 2021
What is the jello mix? You say put the pineapple jello into the cake batter which is the box of island pineapple but you say add the pineapple mix into the frosting! I have no clue what I’m missing here!
Saturday 10th of July 2021
The “jello mix” I said to add to the frosting is the same as the pineapple jello powder that you add to the cupcakes, I just phrased it in a different way. Sorry for the confusion 😊