Disney’s Tonga Toast is deep fried French Toast stuffed with bananas and covered in cinnamon sugar. Just like eating breakfast at Disney’s Polynesian Resort at Walt Disney World!
This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on these links, I get a small percentage back at no cost to you! For more information see my disclosure policy.
One of my favorite things to do at Walt Disney World is to go resort hopping. That is when you take time to visit the different resort hotels on the Disney World property.
The monorail loop has some of my favorite resorts. Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney’s Contemporary Resort, and Disney’s Polynesian Resort.
Disney’s Polynesian Resort
At Disney’s Polynesian resort, we always stop at Pineapple Lanai to get a refreshing Dole Whip Float (you can get my DIY Dole Whip recipe here).
If we happen to be at the resort in the morning, we have to stop at Kona Cafe to get an order of Tonga Toast!
Tonga Toast is so good, I dream about it. I’m pretty sure you will too, after you make this recipe.
The Kona Cafe menu describes Tonga Toast this way:
Banana-stuffed French Toast rolled in Cinnamon Sugar and served with a Strawberry Compote and your choice of Ham, Spiced Ham, Bacon, or Sausage
Sounds amazing, doesn’t it? My brother-in-law happens to be from the island of Tonga and has never had anything like this before, but it is still a catchy name 😉
Toppings for Tonga Toast
My kids like to have their Tonga Toast plain (because they say it tastes like a cronut) but it is also amazing topped with good old maple syrup.
Here are some other toppings to try:
Fried French Toast Fillings
Traditional Tonga Toast from Walt Disney World is stuffed with sliced bananas, but feel free to stuff your French Toast with what ever you’d like!
I have one son who likes it plain, with no filling. Another likes his filled with Nutella and sliced strawberries.
Another filling option is butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Just like a cinnamon roll. Use your imagination!
Other Disney Breakfast Recipes You Might Like
- Disney World Cronuts
- Homemade Mickey Beignets
- PCH Grill Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana French Toast Casserole
- Crispy Mickey Waffles
- Cheater Mickey Beignets
Tonga Toast Ingredients
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/3 Cups Milk or Cream
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
Tonga Toast (French Toast)
- 1 Loaf of Bread, uncut (I used cinnamon brioche)
- 2 Bananas
- Oil for frying
Cinnamon Sugar Mixture
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
How to Make Disney’s Tonga Toast
- Cinnamon Sugar Mixture: Begin by combining 3/4 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon in a shallow bowl or pie pan.
- Batter: Whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar. You can also use a blender or food processor which works great!
- Slice the bread into thick pieces.
- Use a knife to cut a slit into the top of each slice, but don’t cut all the way through. You are basically cutting out a little pocket in the bread.
- Peel and cut the bananas in half.
- Then slice the bananas in half again, lentgh-wise.
- Stuff two banana slices into the bread pocket.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat until it reaches about 350 degrees.
- Dip the Tonga Toast in the batter, covering both sides.
- Use tongs to carefully place the bread in the oil.
- Fry the French Toast on each side for 3-4 minutes until it is golden brown.
- Remove the toast from the pan and allow it to drain on a paper towel.
- Coat both sides of the Tonga Toast with cinnamon sugar.
- Serve with your favorite French Toast Toppings.
More Breakfast Recipes To Try:
- Sweet Cream Pancakes
- Perfect French Toast
- Crispy Waffles
- Funnel Cake Waffles
- Butter Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
- Sweet Cream Waffles
- Cinnamon Swirl Banana Muffins
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls
Disney Vacation Savings
Find out about the Layaway Plan HERE!
If you would like to save money on your next trip to Disneyland or Walt Disney World, my friends at Get Away Today will be able to help you plan an awesome vacation!
My family has been booking our Disney vacations through with them since I was in junior high.
Their customer service is amazing and ticket prices are usually a few dollars cheaper than Disney gate prices.
Get Away Today is almost always running some kind of special on Disneyland tickets and hotel rooms.
And you can book without worry when you use their Peace of Mind Plan and Layaway Plan!
Get Discount Disneyland Tickets HERE!
If you book a 2-night or longer Southern California vacation package including hotel and tickets, you can use the promo code MommyMouse at checkout to save an extra $10 in addition to sales and discounts.
Walt Disney World
If a trip to Disney World is in your future, they can also help you plan an amazing vacation to “The Most Magical Place on Earth!”
Get Discount Disney World Tickets Here
Their customer service is THE BEST and they offer deals like: discounts on rooms, free dining and more! Visit getawaytoday.com or give them a call at 855-GET-AWAY for current deals!