Want to know how to make super soft peanut butter cookies? This peanut butter cookie recipe right here, makes the most soft, delicious, moist, peanut buttery cookies you will ever make! Using extra brown sugar, honey roasted peanut butter, and slightly shorter cooking time, these cookies are the best peanut butter cookies ever!
This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on these links, I get a small percentage back at no cost to you! For more information see my disclosure policy.
Why This is the Best Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
Peanut butter may just be one of the greatest food inventions of all time. I love eating it by the spoonful, right out of the jar! But, peanut butter cookies have always been a little lacking to me, until now.
How to Make Peanut Butter Cookies Soft and Moist
There are some tricks you can use to get soft and moist peanut butter cookies, and this recipe uses almost all of them. That’s why they are so amazing!
- Using more brown sugar than white sugar will result in softer, more moist cookies because of the amount of molasses.
- If you slightly under-bake the cookies, they will be have a soft texture.
- You can add a little bit of cornstarch to the dough to make softer cookies. That is what I did with these S’mores Cookies.
- Another method is to add an extra egg yolk, which is the method I used with my Copycat Disneyland Raspberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Best Ingredients for this Classic Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
*Ingredient amounts are located in the recipe card at the end of this post.
All-Purpose Flour- I like to use all-purpose flour in this recipe because I always have it on hand, which means I can have soft peanut butter cookies whenever I want!
Honey Roasted Peanut Butter- This is by far the most ingredient for the best tasting peanut butter cookies! Once I tasted this amazing invention, I was sold and have never looked back.
Salted Butter- You can use either salted or unsalted butter. I like to used salted butter because it enhances the flavor of the cookies.
Pure Vanilla Extract– There is nothing like using pure vanilla extract when baking. And the good news is, it seems like the price is finally starting to come back down. I usually get the best deals for vanilla at Costco, but you can get it at your local grocery store or here on Amazon.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- Mixing Bowl- You will be using a mixing in this recipe to combine the dry ingredients.
- Whisk- A good whisk is a necessary tool for any home cook or baker. This is one of my favorite whisks here.
- Wire Rack
- Cookie Sheet
- Stand Mixer- I have owned both a Kitchenaid Mixer and a Bosch Mixer. Both are great! I happened to find my Bosch mixer at my local Costco and have not once regretted that purchase.
Instructions to Make Peanut Butter Cookies
Step 2: Unwrap the sticks of butter and add them to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat for 1 or 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
Step 3: Add the brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar into the bowl with the butter. Mix for another minute. Scrape down the sides if necessary.
Step 5: Add the egg and vanilla extract to the peanut butter cookie dough and mix together.
Step 6: Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together and fully combined.
Step 7: Use a 2 inch cookie scoop to make cookie dough balls.
Step 8: Roll the balls of cookie dough in the remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and coat completely.
Step 9: Place the cookie dough balls on a parchment paper lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
Step 10: Use a fork to stamp a crisscross pattern on the tops of the cookies.
Step 11: Bake the cookies at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
How to Store Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
These peanut butter cookies are best when they are soft and chewy. To keep them soft, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. If you prefer your cookies to be crispy, store them in a loosely covered container or bag.
Baking Tips & Tricks
- Make sure to use room temperature butter for easier creaming and smoother dough.
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon to make evenly sized cookies for more consistent baking.
- Don’t overbake your cookies. They may look slightly underdone when you take them out of the oven, but they will continue to cook while cooling on the baking sheet.
- For an extra peanut buttery taste, add some chopped peanuts into the dough before baking.
- If you prefer a sweeter cookie, increase the amount of white sugar in the dough. Now that you have successfully made these delicious Peanut Butter Cookies, try experimenting with different mix-ins such as chocolate chips or chopped nuts. These cookies also make great gifts for friends and family – just
Frequently Asked Questions
The trick to making soft cookies is using room temperature butter and not overbaking them. Allowing the cookies to cool on the baking sheet before transferring them will also help keep them soft.
Yes, you can freeze these cookies after they have been baked and cooled. Place them in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 2 months. Thaw them before serving.
Natural peanut butter may result in a slightly different texture and taste, but it can be used in this recipe. Just make sure to stir the natural peanut butter well before adding it to the dough.
Butter is the ingredient that makes cookies soft. Using room temperature butter and not overbaking the cookies will result in a softer texture. You can also try using a lower protein flour, like cake flour, to make your cookies more tender.
Yes, you can use crunchy peanut butter for these cookies for added texture. However, if you prefer a smoother dough, use creamy peanut butter.
Fork marks are used in peanut butter cookies to create the classic criss cross pattern and also help flatten the cookies for even baking.
Enjoy Your Homemade Peanut Butter Cookies
Enjoy these soft and chewy homemade peanut butter cookies with a tall glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee. They are perfect for any occasion and are sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. Share them with your loved ones or keep them all for yourself – I won’t tell! Happy baking!
More Cookie Recipes:
- Classic Sugar Cookies (Best Sugar Cookies Ever)
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Pumpkin Spice Sugar Cookies
- Melt Away Christmas Cookies
- Gingerbread Sugar Cookies
- Frosted Eggnog Cookies
- Disney’s Grand Floridian Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Almond Joy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Watch the video here: