Delicious and perfectly spiced Buffalo Chicken Chili is a hearty and flavorful dish that is sure to please the whole family. Packed with tender chicken, vegetables, and a blend of spices, this chili offers a satisfying and comforting meal with buffalo flavor. The combination of buffalo chicken wings sauce and chili powder gives the dish a delicious kick, while the addition of fire-roasted diced tomatoes adds depth and smokiness. You can customize the level of spiciness by adjusting the amount of buffalo sauce used.
This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on these links, I get a small percentage back at no cost to you! For more information see my disclosure policy.
Why You’ll Love This Buffalo Chicken Chili
- It’s a hearty, comforting meal that is perfect for chilly days.
- The smokiness of the fire-roasted diced tomatoes adds flavor and depth to every bite.
- You can customize the level of spiciness by adjusting the amount of buffalo sauce used.
- It’s easy to make and comes together quickly.
Buffalo Chicken Chili Ingredients
*Ingredient amounts are located in the recipe card at the end of this post.
Butter: This will be used when you sauté the vegetables. Olive oil may be substituted.
Ground Chicken or Turkey: This is the base of the chili. I prefer ground chicken, but it can be hard to find sometimes. Ground turkey makes a great alternative. You can also use shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken, if desired.
Carrots & Celery: These are the classic vegetables used for soups, stews, and chili and are also commonly served with Buffalo Wings.
Ranch Dressing Mix: This gives the chili a delicious and complex flavor. I prefer Hidden Valley Ranch, but any ranch seasoning will do. This can be found on the condiment aisle of your local grocery store.
Spices: Chili powder, cumin, chicken bouillon, oregano, garlic & onion powder are the spices and seasonings that make this dish so tasty. Chipotle chili powder is also a great option.
Smoked Paprika & Black Pepper: These both add a smoky flavor to the chili.
Liquid Smoke: This adds a slight smokiness to the chili.
White Beans & Diced Tomatoes: These are both added for texture and flavor. Feel free to substitute black beans, cannellini beans or navy beans for the white beans.
Diced Tomatoes: I prefer to use fire-roasted diced tomatoes for their smoky flavor.
Buffalo Wing Sauce: This is the ingredient that gives the chili its signature kick! I recommend using Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce, but feel free to customize it with your favorite sauce.
Chicken Broth: This is used to thin out the chili and give it more liquid.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Chili
[Step 1] Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan. Add the chopped carrots and celery to the butter and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
[Step 2] Place the ground chicken or turkey in the pan and break up into chunks. Cook at medium-high heat until no longer pink. Once the meat is cooked through, add the beans, tomatoes, chicken broth and mix together.
[Step 3] Add all of the spices, liquid smoke, and buffalo sauce.
[Step 4] Bring the chili to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.Serve the chili with shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped onions and tomatoes, if desired.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Chopped Onion
- Chopped Green Onions
- Crushed Tortilla Chips
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
What Goes Well with This Buffalo Chicken Chili Recipe?
Cornbread: My favorite side dish for Buffalo Chicken Chili is Sweet Moist Cornbread. It is THE BEST cornbread I have ever had and I know once you give it a try, you’ll agree.
Fries: Something about the combination of chili and fries that just works! Try roasting your own oven fries for a healthier option or use this air fryer frozen french fries recipe here.
Salad: Sometimes it’s nice to have a refreshing side dish with your chili.
Biscuits: Biscuits are the perfect way to soak up all of that delicious chili! Try a classic buttermilk biscuit recipe here.
Totchos: The perfect game day snack! Try making your own totchos with this easy recipe here.
Tips for Making Buffalo Chicken Chili
- Make sure to use ground chicken or turkey for the best flavor.
- If you want to make a spicier chili, add more buffalo sauce or some hot pepper flakes. For a milder version, reduce the amount of buffalo sauce.
- You can also adjust the thickness of your chili by adding more or less chicken stock.
- To add even more flavor, try adding some Worcestershire sauce!
- Feel free to experiment with different types of beans.
- Swap out the fire-roasted tomatoes for regular diced tomatoes.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store leftover chili in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 5 days. You can also freeze the chili for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container. To reheat, simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then heat on the stovetop or microwave until warmed through.
Ideas for Leftover Chili
- Chili Fries: Top a plate of French fries with chili and shredded cheese for the ultimate comfort food.
- Chili Tacos: Fill soft tacos with chili, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and salsa for an easy weeknight meal.
- Chili Dogs: Place hot dogs in buns and top with chili, cheese, and diced onions for a classic American meal.
- Chili Quesadillas: Place chili between two tortillas along with some cheese and cook in a skillet until golden brown.
- Chili Cheese Nachos: Top a plate of nacho chips with chili, shredded cheese, jalapenos, and tomatoes for an easy snack.
- Chili Mac and Cheese: Mix chili with your favorite macaroni and cheese recipe for a flavorful twist.
- Chili Cornbread Pie: Layer the bottom of a baking dish with cornbread, top with chili, and sprinkle cheese over the top. Bake until golden brown for an easy dinner or potluck dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
If this chili is a little too spicy for you, you can add less sauce or top your chili with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt. For a variation of this recipe, make this a creamy chili by adding 4 ounces of cream cheese to make a Creamy Buffalo Chicken Chili. It’s delicious!
Yes! You can easily make this chili in the slow cooker. Follow steps 1-3 as directed, and then transfer everything to your slow cooker insert. Cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. Add the buffalo sauce at the end of cooking time and stir until well combined.
Yes, you can definitely substitute the ground chicken or turkey for ground beef in this recipe. The cooking time may need to be adjusted depending on the type of beef used. Make sure that the beef is cooked through before adding additional ingredients.
Absolutely! Feel free to add extra vegetables such as red peppers, mushrooms, or squash. You may need to increase the amount of broth if you add more vegetables as they will absorb liquid.
Yes, you can definitely make this a vegetarian dish by substituting the ground chicken or beef for crumbled tofu. Also, be sure to use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can also add extra beans and vegetables to make this a heartier dish.
Yes, you can freeze the chili for up to 3 months in an airtight container. To reheat, simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then heat on the stovetop or microwave until warmed through.
Buffalo Chicken Chili is a delicious and easy weeknight meal that everyone in the family will love. It’s packed with flavor and can easily be customized to your tastes and its sure to become your new favorite chili recipe.
Plus, it reheats well and makes for great leftovers, so you can enjoy this meal all week long! There’s nothing better than a warm bowl of chili on a cold night. Give this recipe a try and let me know how it turns out!