Make this easy and fun Holiday Muddy Buddies Recipe as a snack for your next party! Easy for kids to make and customizable for different holidays.
This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on these links, I get a small percentage back at no cost to you! For more information see my disclosure policy.
I’m always looking for fun and easy recipes and snacks to make for my family and take to holiday get-togethers.
And what is more fun than Muddy Buddies? Especially when you make them festive by adding colorful M&M’s!
What are Muddy Buddies?
Muddy Buddies are a snack mix made of Chex cereal, covered in melted chocolate and peanut butter, and coated in powdered sugar. Yum.
I’ve heard some people refer to Muddy Buddies as Puppy Chow, but I just can’t call them that. I don’t know why?
Holiday Muddy Buddies
4th of July
In this Patriotic Muddy Buddies recipe I used special Red, White, & Blue M&M’s that are sold around the 4th of July.
I found these at both Target and Walmart as well as smaller grocery story chains. You can also find them here on Amazon.
There are so many possibilities for Halloween Muddy Buddies! You could add Halloween M&M’s, but it would also be fun to add candy corn!
M&M’s does release Christmas colored candy but I’ve also seen white chocolate and peppermint versions as well. Both of those flavors would be really good in a Muddy Buddies recipe.
I also have a delicious Christmas Crack Chex Mix recipe that I promise you will love and will make every year!
Valentine’s Day would be a fun holiday to make Muddy Buddies! Not only could you do pink, red, and white M&M’s, but you could add conversation hearts or red hot candies!
Easter Muddy Buddies
Easter has a lot of fun candy choices to spruce up Muddy Buddies. You can your M&Ms Eggs or my favorite Cadbury Mini Eggs!
Ingredients for Holiday Muddy Buddies
- 9 Cups Chex Cereal (your choice)
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup Holiday (or regular) M&M’s
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- Add the Chex cereal to a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and cook for 1 minute and stir.
- Continue to cook in 30 second increments until the mixture is completely melted. Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the cereal.
- Use a spatula to gently stir until all of the Chex is coated.
- Add the powdered sugar to a 2 gallon size ziplock bag.
- Scoop in the chocolate cereal mixture.
- Seal the bag and shake to coat.
- Pour the Muddy Buddies out onto wax paper to cool.
- Once cool, place the Muddy Buddies in and airtight container or serving bowl.
- Carefully stir the colorful M&M’s or other holiday candy into the mix. Store in the airtight container for up to 5 days.
Hopefully you can make these Holiday Muddy Buddies for your next friends and family party!
Let me know which holiday you make them for in the comments below!
More Recipes to Try: