Celebrate the delightful charm of St. Patrick’s Day with these Vanilla Mint St. Patricks Day Cookies. Two lusciously green vanilla cookies embrace a generous layer of smooth white mint frosting, creating a perfect harmony of flavors and colors. These festive treats are a delightful blend of sweetness and freshness, sure to elevate any celebration with their irresistible taste and vibrant appearance.
This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on these links, I get a small percentage back at no cost to you! For more information see my disclosure policy.
Why You’ll Love These Vanilla Mint St. Patrick’s Day Sandwich Cookies
Imagine biting into a sweet, minty delight, where vibrant green meets the creamy richness of mint frosting. These Vanilla Mint St. Patrick’s Day Sandwich Cookies turn a simple celebration into an unforgettable treat experience.
The allure of these festive treats lies in their captivating appearance and flavors. With every bite, you savor the essence of St. Patrick’s Day, making these cookies a standout addition to your holiday festivities.
The green hue, achieved with just the right amount of food coloring, promises to enchant, perfectly complementing the refreshing zing of mint. It’s this delightful combination that makes them the ultimate sweet treat for the occasion. They embody the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day, offering a fun, delicious way to mark the day with flair and flavor.
St Patrick’s Day Cookies Ingredients
*Ingredient amounts are located in the recipe card at the end of this post.
Gathering the right ingredients is crucial to creating the perfect batch of Vanilla Mint St. Patrick’s Day Sandwich Cookies. Each component plays a unique role in delivering those festive flavors and textures we all love.
- Boxed Cake Mix: The base of your cookies, it keeps things simple yet versatile. For best results, use white or vanilla cake mix.
- Softened Butter: Adds richness and ensures a tender crumb. Coconut oil is a great alternative for a slightly different flavor profile.
- Eggs: Bind the ingredients together, giving the cookies structure. Flax eggs make a good substitute for a vegan variation.
- Vanilla Extract: Infuses the cookies with warm, aromatic depth. Almond extract can be used for a nuttier note.
- Green Food Coloring: Brings in the iconic green hue, perfect for St. Patrick’s Day. Spinach juice gives a natural color, albeit with a subtle taste.
- Marshmallow Cream: Create a creamy, fluffy filling that contrasts beautifully with the cookies. Mascarpone can be swapped in for a richer texture.
- Mint Extract: These essence oils introduce a classic minty freshness, elevating the filling. Peppermint essential oil is an alternative, but use sparingly due to its potency.
- Powdered Sugar: Adds sweetness and smoothness to the filling, making it irresistibly spreadable. For a less refined option, try blending granulated sugar until fine.
- Milk: Adjusts the consistency of the filling. Any plant-based milk will be just as effective for a dairy-free version.
With these ingredients, you’re well on your way to creating delicious, minty, green cookies that’ll be the highlight of any St. Patrick’s Day celebration. Remember, baking is about fun and creativity, so feel free to experiment and make these cookies uniquely yours.
How to Make Vanilla Mint Sandwich Cookies
[Step 1] Vanilla Cookies: Beat the softened butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix in the eggs and vanilla. Add the cake mix and stir until a soft dough forms. Add enough green gel food coloring to achieve your desired color.
[Step 3] Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Remove them from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
[Step 4] Mint Filling: Beat the butter and marshmallow cream together in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer. Add the vanilla and mint extracts. Mix in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time Stir in the milk until smooth and add to a large piping bag or ziplock bag.
[Step 5] Cookie Assembly: Cut off the tip of the filling bag and pipe the frosting on the underside of half of the cookies. Place a second cookie on top of the frosting to make a sandwich. Enjoy!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Baking Tips & Tricks
- Check the oven temperature before you start. An oven thermometer can confirm your oven’s accuracy. This simple step ensures your cookies bake evenly.
- Use a wire rack for cooling. Transferring your cookies to a wire rack stops the baking process and prevents soggy bottoms. It lets air circulate around the cookies, cooling them faster and more evenly.
- Add white chocolate chips for a creamy texture and sweet flavor. Fold them into the batter last. This extra twist doesn’t just add flavor – it brings a delightful texture contrast to your minty treats.
How to Store Leftover Cookies
Keeping these delicious cookies fresh is all about choosing the right storage method. Seal them tightly in an airtight container. This method keeps moisture and stale air out, preserving the minty freshness and the soft texture of the cookies. Placing a piece of parchment paper between each layer prevents them from sticking together or smudging the frosting.
You might be tempted to leave them out for easy snacking, but resist the urge. Storing them away from direct sunlight and heat sources helps maintain their vibrant green color and prevents the frosting from melting.
For those looking to extend their enjoyment, these cookies freeze remarkably well. Wrapped individually in plastic wrap and then stored in a freezer bag, they can be enjoyed for up to three months. Thaw them at room temperature before serving, and they’ll taste as fresh as the day you baked them.
- Experiment with Chocolate: Add chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, green M&Ms, or green sprinkles to the cookie dough for a delightful twist. The combination of mint and chocolate captures a classic flavor pairing that everyone loves.
- Colorful Sprinkles: Mix in rainbow sprinkles into the batter before baking. This adds a burst of color and fun, perfect for a St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
- Lemon Zest Addition: For a fresh twist, add lemon zest to the frosting. The citrus flavor will complement the mint beautifully, offering a tangy counterpoint to the sweetness.
- Crushed Candy Canes: Top the cookies with crushed candy canes for a minty crunch. This not only enhances the aesthetics but also elevates the mint flavor in every bite.
- Use Dark Chocolate Frosting: Replace the white mint frosting with a rich dark chocolate frosting. It creates an elegant contrast with the green cookies and adds a deep chocolatey taste.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, while white or Funfetti cake mix works best for that vibrant green color, you can experiment with other flavors. Just remember, the color might vary. Incorporating green food coloring into your batter will still bring out that festive touch.
Absolutely. Green food coloring, especially when used in moderation, is safe for adding a playful hue to your cookies. For those looking for natural alternatives, matcha or spinach powder could offer a subtle green tint and a unique flavor twist.
Indeed, replacing the standard cake mix with a gluten-free variety is an easy swap. Ensure all other ingredients, including the marshmallow cream, are labeled gluten-free. This simple modification won’t compromise the delicious taste or texture of your cookies.
These delightful Vanilla Mint St. Patrick’s Day Sandwich Cookies have proven themselves as must-have treats. Their festive flair and minty freshness make them standout additions to any celebration. Not only do they boast a delicious taste, but their ease of preparation means you won’t be spending all day in the kitchen.
Every bite brings a burst of mint and soft, sweet cookie, making them the perfect way to indulge this St. Patrick’s Day. As you gather with friends and family, these cookies are sure to be a hit, leaving everyone asking for the recipe.
More St. Patrick’s Day Treats:
- Lucky Charms Leprechan Treats
- Fudgy Mint Brownies
- Rainbow Rice Krispie Treats
- Marshmallow Rainbow Chip Cookies