A delicious and fun Butterbeer Cupcakes recipe inspired by Butterbeer from the Harry Potter Books and Movies! Butterscotch Cream Soda cupcakes that are filled with creamy butterscotch whipped cream and topped with fluffy Cream Soda Vanilla buttercream frosting!
This post may contain affiliate links. When you click on these links, I get a small percentage back at no cost to you! For more information see my disclosure policy.
The first time that I read Harry Potter I was in college studying to become an elementary school teacher. I had never heard of Harry Potter before, but was intrigued by the book.
Fast forward and I now have 3 boys who absolutely love everything Harry Potter!
Last week happened to be Harry Potter’s birthday and my boys wanted to celebrate. I knew that these Harry Potter Butterbeer Cupcakes would be the perfect treat for the celebration!
The cupcake is vanilla cake flavored with a box of instant butterscotch pudding and cream soda. It is so flavorful!
I also added some butterscotch flavored whipped cream for the filling. Finally these cupcakes are topped with a fluffy vanilla cream soda buttercream frosting!
You can also drizzle the tops of the cupcakes with caramel, just to send their awesomeness over the top.
Ingredients for Butterbeer Cupcakes
- 1 Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 Box Instant Butterscotch Pudding
- 4 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Butter, melted
- 1 Cup Cream Soda
Butterscotch Cream Filling
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Instant Butterscotch Pudding
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
Vanilla Cream Soda Buttercream
- 1 Cup Butter, softened
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3-4 Teaspoons Cream Soda
- Caramel Ice Cream Topping, optional
How to Make Butterbeer Cupcakes
To make Butterbeer Cupcakes, begin by checking the instructions on the back of the cake mix box. You’ll be using the cake mix as a guide for this recipe, it will just be “doctored up” a bit.
If the cake mix calls for 3 eggs, which most do, use one more. If the ingredients call for 1/3 cup oil, you will use 1/3 cup melted butter. And finally you will replace the recommended amount of water with cream soda. If it says to use 1 cup of water, use 1 cup of cream soda instead.
- Add the eggs to a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat the eggs for a minute or two.
- Then add the cake mix, the box of Instant Butterscotch Pudding, melted butter, and cream soda.
- Beat the mixture on low until everything is moistened, then turn the mixer to medium speed for about two minutes.
- Place cupcake liners in each cup of a muffin/cupcake pan.
- Use a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop, place three scoops of batter into each cupcake liner.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees for 14-16 minutes, or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely on a cooling rack.
Butterscotch Cream Filling
- Add the heavy cream, Butterscotch instant pudding, and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Beat the ingredients until light and fluffy.
- Add the whipped cream to a large disposable piping bag and set aside.
Vanilla Cream Soda Buttercream Frosting
- Add the softened butter to a mixing bowl or stand mixer and beat for a minute or two.
- Measure in the vanilla extract and beat again.
- Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing in between.
- Slowly add the cream soda, one tablespoon at a time until your frosting is nice and creamy and ready to be piped on the cupcakes.
- To assemble all of the ingredients together into these delicious Harry Potter Butterbeer Cupcakes, you’ll first need to remove the centers of the cupcakes. You can do this using a knife, or you can use a cupcake corer.
- Once the cupcake middles are removed, put the Butterscotch Cream in a piping bag or gallon ziplock bag. Cut off the end of the bag and pipe the cream into the center of each cupcake.
- Add the Vanilla Cream Soda Buttercream to a piping bag with a large star tip, and pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes using a swirling motion.
- Drizzle some caramel ice cream topping on top, if desired.
Helpful Kitchen Items you can Find on Amazon
- Stand mixer orhand mixer
- Cupcake Liners
- Cupcake/Muffin Pan
- 1 Tablespoon Cookie Scoop
- Cooling Rack
- Disposable Piping Bags
- Cupcake Corer
- Large Star Tip
I hope you enjoy these Harry Potter Butterbeer Cupcakes as much as we did! Make sure to Pin this recipe for later and check out more recipes here.
Don’t miss my post about The Best Things to do at Universal Studios Hollywood and check out my YouTube Video below!